Sunday, June 6, 2010

Breaking the law...


Let's talk about immigration some more. Let’s smack this horse in the hind side a few more times, Why not? I am going to tell you where I stand on this issue and you big hearted folks out there may be appalled. I know some of my Hispanic friends will want to disown me, but I must stay true to myself. You see, I do not make decisions based on emotions. First, a little background info. My father was born and raised in Mexico and moved to this country to pursue the American dream of which he had heard about. He came to America on a student Visa and eventually received citizenship. He is 75 years old and still will stand and declare, “I am a United States citizen, I earned it”. When he received his green card, he was informed that he must carry it with him at all times. This seemed like a small price to pay for the liberties, freedoms, and joys of being an American citizen. The laws existed then, and they still exists now. Contrary to popular belief, Arizona did not create a law out of thin air.

We are a Nation of laws, a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy and abiding by those laws is required of all citizens. Disregarding law leads to chaos and diminishes the American dream. I support Arizona in their efforts to provide a better quality of life for its people. Those who earned their citizenship understand the value of the pursuit and the eventual gain that comes from being a bonafide citizen. And let me state, the Arizona law that was passed is just a replica of the Federal Law. Yes, it is the job of the Federal government to enforce immigration law, but when a state is under siege and one of its cities is the kidnapping capital of the world, action must be taken. Arizona like any state should act in order to force the Federal government to do its job. Let us not forget that the Federal governments #1 job is to secure the sovereignty of the USA and protect its people.

I am not cold hearted. I want the best for my people and the people of this great Nation. I am very proud to be an American and I want the same for anyone who desires to live out their days here in the states. I do not however, agree with unlawful entry into our nation. Additionally, it disappoints me that immigrants would enter illegally and commit crimes against the tax payers. This is a double dose of " you pushed your luck too far."

Truthfully, it saddens me to hear of the treatment of Mexican immigrants by the human traffickers. It is inhumane to live in a basement or a holding house with ten, twenty other people because you're being hidden. That is no way to live for any person! I think the "system" by which immigrants earned citizenship should be less bureaucratic. I am not saying it should be the simplest task, but the current process is mind boggling. If we create a better process, then we would not have to resort to these measures to protect our borders. We could stand behind the Statue of Liberty and welcome immigrants with her inscription that reads "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Earn your citizenship and we welcome you with open arms.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Victor. The Latinos I've met in the course of my work in the construction industry, are the most hard working, uncomplaining group of people I've ever dealt with. I would be proud to call them my fellow citizen. If the government would provide a reasonable way for them to come legally, we might stand a chance at addressing the issue at the border with a more realistic plan. I have a friend that's patiently waiting for NEXT July for his interview so he can become naturalized. Ridiculous. But breaking the law is still breaking the law. The bottom line is, this is about National Security, and the Federal Govt has failed in it's FIRST constitutional duty.

    ReplyDelete